HOME   |   CONTACT   |   FACEBOOK   |   PINTEREST   |   TWITTER   |   RSS

Beghilos

Back when I was a kid, I remember being incredibly excited when I realized my last name could be spelled on a calculator. (Yeah, I was a nerd.) Type in 35308, turn the calculator upside down, and you get BOESE.

According to Wikipedia, the phenomenon of Calculator Spelling is known as Beghilos. The name derives from the limited set of characters that can be created with a calculator, those characters being: BEGhILOSZ.

Not surprisingly, one of the primary uses of beghilos is to create references to the female anatomy:

The 'original' attributed example of calculator spelling which dates from the 1970s, is 5318008, which when turned over spells "BOOBIES". Using a scientific calculator with hex capability, this can be further improved, with the A–F keys and the "!" sign, to spell "b00b1E5!", without needing to rotate the display (a practice known as hexspeak); however, many calculators that use the seven-segment automatically calculate the factorial product when the "!" key is pressed... In Portuguese, 50135 (upside down 'SEIOS'), means 'breasts', and is directly analogous to the English "58008/BOOBS".
Posted By: Alex | Date: Tue Mar 10, 2009 | Number of Comments: 14
Category: Languages
More weirdness from the WU archive:
Comments
Listed in chronological order. Newest comments at the end.
And to think that I was going to go to my bed then evening without that knowledge to comfort me!
Posted by Expat47 in Athens, Greece on 03/10/09 at 09:32 AM
amazing alex....any other foreign calculator words we should be aware of? i'm so bored with 07734
Posted by mrjazz on 03/10/09 at 09:42 AM
Thru the magic of programming, here's a list of all the words you can spell on your calculator.

BEG, BEGO, BEGS, BEL, BELS, BES, BESIGH, BEZ
SEG, SEGHOL, SEGO, SEGOL, SEI, SEIL, SEL, SEZ, SHE
SHEOL, SHIEL, SHOE, SHOG, SHOGI, SIB, SIGH, SILE
SILO, SIZE, SIZEL, SLEIGH, SLOB, SLOE, SLOG, SOB
SOG, SOH, SOIL, SOL, SOLE, SOLEI, SOLI, ZEL, ZELIG
ZELIGS, ZELS, ZHO, ZHOS, ZIG, ZIGS, ZOS
Posted by Expat47 in Athens, Greece on 03/10/09 at 09:46 AM
When I was a kid, I discovered, by accident on my mom's calc. that was as big as a dictionary, 55378008.

BOOBLESS
Posted by Madd Maxx on 03/10/09 at 10:19 AM
Right! My algorithm only uses the letters once! It was written for a kiddie game I made once.

Yes, BG, those are words. They're in an unabridged dictionary I d/loaded some years ago.
Posted by Expat47 in Athens, Greece on 03/10/09 at 10:45 AM
I like the Groovie Goolies!
Posted by kingmonkey in Athens, Ontario on 03/10/09 at 12:45 PM
I just showed this to my son and handed him an old calculator ... he'll be entertained for days. Thanks! wink
Posted by Nethie on 03/10/09 at 04:59 PM
It always comes back to 58008.
Posted by KW in Dallas, TX on 03/10/09 at 08:01 PM
Or on 58008 KW. You can't forget that! wink
Posted by DownCrisis on 03/10/09 at 08:40 PM
shell is another one. we used to play around with spelling words on the calculator when i was a kid too. smile
Posted by patty in Ohio, USA on 03/10/09 at 08:43 PM
Okay, I'm lost. I was talking about the band Groovie Ghoulies. I have been spelling it wrong all along.
Posted by kingmonkey in Athens, Ontario on 03/12/09 at 09:15 AM
excellent nerd #1!
Posted by patty in Ohio, USA on 05/16/09 at 08:39 PM
"Bobsleighless" to be without a bobsleigh (13). tongue laugh
5537461375808

(Also "bobsleighish" like a bobsleigh (12), "bibliologies" multiple lists of written works (12), and "glossologies" multiple studies of changes to language (12).)
Posted by Dumbfounded on 09/09/10 at 05:27 AM
as usual dumbfounded, you are the best! kiss
Posted by patty in Ohio, USA on 09/09/10 at 09:13 AM
Page 1 of 1 pages
Commenting is not available in this weblog entry.
Custom Search