Can’t Miss the Show

January 1985: The women of the Thurlow family proved they were serious fans of the TV show St. Elsewhere. Even as their house burned down around them, they remained parked in front of the TV set, watching the latest episode through the haze of the smoke, unwilling to miss a single moment. The firefighters had to drag them away. But as soon as the fire was extinguished, the women rushed back into the house and were able to catch the final 10 minutes.

Ocala Star-Banner - Jan 23, 1985

Posted By: Alex - Wed Nov 25, 2015
Category: 1980s

Comments
With the amount of TV tax there is in UK I can understand them wanting to get their £££ worth.
Posted by Expat47 in Athens, Greece on 11/25/15 at 09:50 AM
I wish I was the man in the soundproof booth,
I wish I had a chance to stump the band,
Or maybe tell truth.
And maybe I could win a color television. wink
Posted by KDP in Madill, OK on 11/25/15 at 02:27 PM
They were trying for a Darwin Award!
Posted by Patty in Ohio, USA on 11/25/15 at 04:38 PM
Reminds me of the new smoke detectors which have a snooze button for those people who just can't get out of bed with the alarm first goes off.

The very best smoke detectors now use voice recognition so when they go off, you can shout "I'm cooking" and they'll shut themselves off.
Posted by Phideaux in his own little world on 11/25/15 at 05:30 PM
I could see the usefulness of that Phideaux. We set the smoke detector off at our old apartment from time to time while cooking. I remember when I was kid, 2 of my friends were sisters and when I spent the night their mom would make us French toast for breakfast. It was delicious and never burnt but she fried it fast and it make just enough smoke to set off the smoke alarm every time.
Posted by Patty in Ohio, USA on 11/25/15 at 06:00 PM
@Patty -- ever think maybe she did that on purpose rather than trying to drag you out of bed?
Posted by Phideaux in his own little world on 11/26/15 at 12:40 AM