HOME   |   CONTACT   |   FACEBOOK   |   PINTEREST   |   TWITTER   |   RSS

Kangaroo Meat Scandal, 1960

The horse meat scandal is widening in Europe, with reports now surfacing that Ikea's meatballs have been found to contain horse. Ikea insists the meatballs sold in the U.S. are horse-less, even though the U.S. and European meatballs come from the same supplier.

Of course, the U.S. has its own history of meat scandals, such as back in 1960 when Pennsylvanians got "hopping mad" to discover kangaroo meat was being mixed into their sausages and bologna.

In the past, I've purposefully had horse sausage and kangaroo filet. Or, at least, that's what I was told I was being served. Who knows. Maybe they were both really pork. I would never have been able to tell the difference.

Posted By: Alex | Date: Mon Feb 25, 2013 | Number of Comments: 6
Category: Food
More weirdness from the WU archive:
Comments
Listed in chronological order. Newest comments at the end.
In Italy one pays top dollar (Lira? Euro?) for horse. I had venison in Berlin that 100 people thought was beef because all the flavor had been marinated out of it!

Protein is protein so don't say nayyyyyyy to good meat!
Posted by Expat47 in Athens, Greece on 02/25/13 at 10:11 AM
Were people afraid they would suddenly develop pouches in which to carry their young?

How about consuming beef? Aren't you glad that God got that udder thing out of his system before he got around to making humans?
Posted by KDP in Madill, OK on 02/25/13 at 12:13 PM
I want my Armor potted meat food product back that had the beef hearts and tripe. It's just not the same now. At least I can still get fried/breaded pork brain sandwiches in southern Indiana if I ask special.
Posted by BrokeDad in Midwest US on 02/25/13 at 05:45 PM
Oh BD! sick Not BRAAAIIINSSSS!
KDP, that's udderly ridiculous!
Posted by patty in Ohio, USA on 02/25/13 at 11:20 PM
And the beat goes on.
Posted by BMN on 03/01/13 at 09:58 AM
Great argument for kangaroos to play a larger role in our diet. In my life-time, kangaroo meat has evolved from unobtainable, to something not out of the ordinary, although it is still not mainstream. Of course, there are factors holding back the industry: the inability to herd and slaughter kangaroos at an industrial scale, a cultural aversion to eating them and an animal-rights movement against their slaughter.
Posted by aditi in India on 05/22/13 at 06:11 AM
Page 1 of 1 pages
Commenting is not available in this weblog entry.
Custom Search