Kattle Kaller Auto Horn

image

I would definitely buy one of these today.

Given digital technology, would it not be easy to install a speaker under your hood which broadcast an infinite number of digital sound files on command?

Original ad here.
Posted By: Paul - Thu Dec 10, 2015
Category: Animals, 1950s, Cars, Cacophony, Dissonance, White Noise and Other Sonic Assaults

Comments
I put an AhUggggah horn on my 1973 BMW 2002... Make people get the @$@#$@ out of the way!
Posted by Expat47 in Athens, Greece on 12/10/15 at 10:14 AM
It seems that you are trying to compare apples to oranges with your question, Paul. This was high technology in 1957. Note the mention of a tone control for the horn "located on the steering column."
Posted by KDP in Madill, OK on 12/10/15 at 10:24 AM
On some horns of that era the tone could be changed by how tight a screw holding on the diaphragm was set. I wonder if the "tone control" was a choke style cable, fixed to a lever, which was fixed to the screw?
Posted by BMN on 12/10/15 at 11:53 AM
BTW- If you wanted to add the air horns from a semi to really get people to notice you, it could be done quite easily. You need:
--12 VDC air compressor
-- Salvaged air horn with valve
--Salvaged gas canister from a plumbers torch
--Pressure switch to turn off air compressor
--And a few odds and ends
Posted by BMN on 12/10/15 at 12:16 PM
My father, a dairy farmer, thought the inseminator should have this horn, and blow it as he reached the barnyard, to get the cows into a proper state of anticipation.
Posted by John Ayer in Connecticut on 12/10/15 at 12:46 PM
@BMN: $14.95 at Harbor Freight will do the trick. There's an AhOooga horn there too for $11.
Posted by Expat47 in Athens, Greece on 12/10/15 at 01:07 PM
These horns are still available, Google shopping lists several from $14.95 to about $55.-.
So bring the cows home today!
Posted by AJfixit in Floriduh on 12/10/15 at 02:07 PM
For me, it would cost about $0.00 and some fun tinkering/scrounging time. I have the air compressor from the era of bias-belted tires. I was working out of town for one or two weeks at a time and too often I had two flats to start off the weekend. Except for the horn, I have the rest of the junk kicking around.
Posted by BMN on 12/10/15 at 03:13 PM
Hey Paul: http://horntones.com/ comes with 27 tunes installed, and you can add your own! <leans on horn> <sound of screeching tires> did I mention over 110 decibels?
I remember as a wee yout' back in the 1980s, somebody built a "klaxon calliope" out of car horns, each tuned to a specific note. Amused the hell out of me when it was played on the radio!
Posted by Captain DaFt on 12/10/15 at 10:57 PM
Thanks, Captain Daft! I suspected something like that had to exist!
Posted by Paul on 12/11/15 at 09:53 AM