Menstruation Machine

MOMA (Museum of Modern Art) brings us the Menstruation Machine, created by the artist Sputniko!:

The metal device, which looks like a chastity belt and is equipped with a blood-dispensing system and electrodes that stimulate the lower abdomen, replicates the pain and bleeding of the average five-day menstruation period. It is designed to be worn by men, children, postmenopausal women, or whoever else wants to experience menstruation... Since the 1960s, advances in hormone-based contraception have, by suppressing ovulation, made monthly periods no longer biologically necessary. Sputniko! notes that the Menstruation Machine may be particularly desirable in a future in which menstruation in fact becomes obsolete.

Posted By: Alex - Thu Jan 24, 2013
Category: Art, Body, Torture

Comments
Oh for God's sakes! Who wants to experience a period, certainly no one who has ever had one. I was glad to trade cramps and worries of bleeding through my clothes for hot flashes. This gets my vote for the world's most useless machine.
Posted by Patty in Ohio, USA on 01/24/13 at 10:51 AM
No! Period!
Posted by Expat47 in Athens, Greece on 01/24/13 at 10:57 AM
Throw in a pair of Cruel Shoes and I'll take one!
Posted by KDP in Madill, OK on 01/24/13 at 01:54 PM
I second that, Patty! My mother always said that if men were the ones who had to get periods, they'd have figured out a way to stop them ages ago (this was before the pill). I think men, especially those who tut-tut the pain, inconvenience and expense of periods, ought to "get to have" a good one, though. Especially if they don't get to control it and it starts up in the middle of a big meeting while they are wearing light colored pants.
Posted by ScoutC on 01/25/13 at 10:26 PM
Well, jeez-louize! It's a 28 day cycle so you can't figure out that you shouldn't be wearing white on, say, day 27 -> 29 just in case the curse is going to hit? And, didn't we men invent all those cewl things so you din't need to use cattail fluff or bunny fur, and don't we let you stay in the community now instead of ostracizing you until it's passed? And, it's your own fault anyhow for listening to that snake and feeding us that apple in the first place.

Oops! Sorry, I've not had my coffee yet. red face
Posted by Expat47 in Athens, Greece on 01/26/13 at 12:47 AM
28 day cycle my ass! It was never regular till I went on the pill. I am very glad to be done with it!!
Posted by Patty in Ohio, USA on 01/26/13 at 10:52 AM