HOME   |   CONTACT   |   FACEBOOK   |   PINTEREST   |   TWITTER   |   RSS

Mystery Gadget 14

image

The answer is here.
Posted By: Paul | Date: Fri Nov 09, 2012 | Number of Comments: 10
Category: Technology, 1920's
More weirdness from the WU archive:
Comments
Listed in chronological order. Newest comments at the end.
So, it's not an ego inflater?
Posted by TheCannyScot in Atlanta, GA on 11/09/12 at 09:06 AM
That looks like one of my long lost hash pipes.
Posted by KDP in Madill, OK on 11/09/12 at 09:55 AM
Inventive! I wonder just how difficult it was to get proficient with.
Posted by Expat47 in Athens, Greece on 11/09/12 at 10:11 AM
I've actually seen a slightly more modern version of this. When I was in gradeschool (about 30 years ago), we had some people who'd had their larynx removed come to communicate with us about smoking (I thought it a good deterent). They used a little tube that vibrates and held it to their throats while they would basically burp out the words. It left their voices sounding very, very strange.
Posted by Alassirana on 11/09/12 at 12:32 PM
Hi, this is a very interesting web page and I have enjoyed read­ing many of the arti­cles and posts con­tained on the web­site, keep up the good work and hope to read some more inter­est­ing con­tent in the future. Thank you so much.
Posted by LindaTran on 11/09/12 at 08:57 PM
That is very inventive. I'd never make it if I couldn't talk that's for sure! big surprise
Posted by patty in Ohio, USA on 11/09/12 at 09:10 PM
Welcome to WU Linda!

For those of you that have never heard the electronic version of this Gadget, I am pleased to present the vocal stylings of the Great NED GERBLANSKI!
cool smile
Posted by Tyrusguy on 11/09/12 at 09:18 PM
@Patty I HEARD THAT!!! LOL ME TOO! cool cheese
Posted by Tyrusguy on 11/09/12 at 09:27 PM
I used electronic versions of such a device (Electrolarynx) with laryngectomy patients when I was in college. A device that looks quite a bit like an electric razor was held against the throat, vibrating the air so that the person using it could speak as they exhaled. A similar device was used in lots of '70's music--- think Peter Frampton's "Show Me the Way." (I think that's what it's called --- not much of a Frampton fan.) That type usually had a tube that vibrated the air in the mouth. I didn't take time to look up the date of this article, but it looks like it's from the '20's -- lots of medical innovations came from VA hospitals trying to help WWI vets from their terrible injuries; I'm guessing this was one of them.
Anyone scroll up a page and see the asbestos lined pie pan that prevents burning the crusts?
Posted by ScoutC on 11/10/12 at 04:07 PM
Frampton used a Talk Box or Golden Throat, not quite the same as a electrolarynx, but can be used for vocalising music.

A precursor to the tube in the mouth is the Sonovox, which is worth googling as well.
Posted by dumbledoor in Hell on 11/12/12 at 06:50 AM
Page 1 of 1 pages
Commenting is not available in this weblog entry.
Custom Search