Octopus Wrestling

According to wikipedia, octopus wrestling "involves a diver grappling with a large octopus in shallow water and dragging it to the surface."

Popular Mechanics (May 1966) provides some more details:

Two things work for the hunters. The octopus is basically timid, and divers work in teams. One man goes down (about 50 feet) and tries to force an octopus from his cave. When he comes up for air, the second man goes down and tries to pry the octopus loose from the rocks. If he's not up in 30 seconds, the third man goes down. They don't harm the animals. They just weigh them and throw them back in. Why do they do it? Well, why not?

Posted By: Alex - Sat Feb 23, 2013
Category: Sports, Wrestling, 1960's

Comments
Reminded me of an Ed Wood movie.
Posted by ScoutC on 02/23/13 at 09:49 AM
I don't understand.... all that work and you're NOT going to eat it?
Posted by Expat47 in Athens, Greece on 02/23/13 at 11:17 AM
EWWWW I do not touch anything with tenticles!!!!
Posted by Patty in Ohio, USA on 02/23/13 at 08:44 PM
Whew! I'm safe!
Posted by Expat47 in Athens, Greece on 02/23/13 at 11:06 PM
@Patty: You don't know what you're missing! Octopus (and squid) are delicious!
(wouldn't wanna wrestle one though, they have wicked beaks!)

That aside; I seem to recall that "octopus wrestling" was a term used by some ladies to describe what happened when a date got a little too "hands on".
Posted by Captain DaFt on 02/24/13 at 02:08 AM
@Patty ... ohhhhh "tentacles" .. I was thinking otherwise but misread your comment a few letters different.

I know my wife thought like many other women I had more than two hands when given a chance to be intimate.
Posted by BrokeDad in Midwest US on 02/24/13 at 02:34 PM
Oh no honey, I LIKE those! What a difference one letter can make!
Posted by Patty in Ohio, USA on 02/24/13 at 11:53 PM