The Eccentric Club

For over 230 years there has been one or more organizations known as "the Eccentric Club." I think every WU-vie should be a member by birthright.

Here is a tongue-in-cheek account of a party at an NYC branch from 1889.

image

Original article here.

Profile of the current London version.

Present-day USA version.

Comments
Pathe shorts were a social media before there WAS a social media.
Posted by Expat47 in Athens, Greece on 11/11/15 at 10:16 AM
Sounds eccentric.
Posted by Courtney in Florida on 11/11/15 at 11:41 AM
If I was rich, I'd be eccentric. Since I'm poor, they say I'm crazy.
Posted by Phideaux in his own little world on 11/11/15 at 12:29 PM
Heard that!
Posted by Expat47 in Athens, Greece on 11/11/15 at 12:53 PM
One could always become an ordained minister in the Church Of The Sub-Genius. The philosophy of the organization only requires that you accumulate "slack."
Posted by KDP in Madill, OK on 11/11/15 at 02:09 PM
Meh, I'm too normal to be eccentric, but oddly, everybody I've ever been in contact with has been wildly eccentric. (Why can't they be normal, like me?) smile

On the other hand, since I've never gotten around to sending in my application, I'm a member in excellent standing with the Procrastinator's Club!
Posted by Captain DaFt on 11/11/15 at 04:47 PM
Eccentric vs. crazy -- When Miley Cyrus is naked and licks a hammer, it's “art” and “music.” When I do it, they say I'm "drunk" and “have to leave Home Depot."
Posted by Phideaux in his own little world on 11/11/15 at 06:18 PM
The hammers at Lowes taste better honey. tongue wink
Posted by Patty in Ohio, USA on 11/11/15 at 07:25 PM
KDP -- I sent away to become an official minister in the Church of the Sub-Genius back in the 1990s. But I have no idea what became of the certificate I got. Pretty sure Chuck is also a Sub-Genius minister. Not sure about Paul. But if he never got his official certificate, it's probably only because he was too much of a slacker to send away for it! wink
Posted by Alex on 11/11/15 at 08:31 PM
I bet Paul has his official colander though!
Posted by Patty in Ohio, USA on 11/11/15 at 09:39 PM
Pah - anybody who comments on a World of the Weird article is already a member of the best Eccentric Club there is.
Posted by Richard Bos in The Netherlands on 11/13/15 at 07:40 AM