What Is It?

Take a guess at the above item, what do you think it is?

Answer: It is a bio-luminescent mushroom. Cool looking but don't use it to make a glow-in-the-dark salad, it's poisonous.
     Posted By: patty - Thu Apr 19, 2012

Strange looking mushroom. It is new to us, but in the area where it grows, in Brazil, the natives are familiar with it.
Posted by Patty in Ohio, USA on 04/19/12 at 11:07 PM
I was close. I thought that stuff that grows on trees like warts. Like this sutff except, maybe, around Chernobyl.

Posted by Expat47 in Athens, Greece on 04/19/12 at 11:30 PM
No worries, patty. If it glows in the dark, it's very unlikely to be on my plate.
Posted by TheCannyScot in Atlanta, GA on 04/20/12 at 12:02 AM
Yup, polypore fungi. They're pretty diverse.
Posted by venomlash on 04/20/12 at 04:15 AM
Turkey tails, like your pic Expat, are supposedly edible but all the ones I've ever seen are tough as shoe leather.
Posted by Miles on 04/20/12 at 04:25 AM
Words to live by: Never eat anything that glows.
Posted by KDP on 04/20/12 at 10:30 AM
I remember seeing some of these in the Russian jungles of '64. My bosses suggested I not eat it, but I did it anyway, just to show them. And wouldn't you know it, the glowcap refilled my batteries!
Posted by Naked Snake on 04/22/12 at 06:24 PM
I think you may be full of something NS, just not biolumecent mushrooms.
Posted by Patty in Ohio, USA on 04/22/12 at 07:01 PM
If you mash it up and mix with a Blisterwort mushroom, then drink, you can inexplicably become better at metalworking for a few seconds.
Posted by TJ on 04/23/12 at 07:15 AM
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.