worry 090127

More Things to Worry About

Can't Possibly Be True: A quick-draw game between two yee-ha's in that fabulous border area of Va.-West Va.-Tenn ends badly, but alcohol was not involved (nor drugs). Bristol (Tenn.) Herald Courier

Bernard Madoff's Palm Beach mansion was toilet-papered Sunday night, and the reporter said it was by neighbor kids whose trust funds Madoff had looted. Palm Beach Post

Univ. of Alabama at Birmingham researchers pointed out that it's 43 percent easier for us drivers to wipe out kids crossing the street if we only aim at kids who talk on the phone while crossing [Ed.: OK, the researchers didn't express it quite that way . . .] Reuters via Yahoo

An 11-yr-old bullfighter in Mexico gets 6 kills in one day, thus simultaneously enraging both child-welfare groups and PETA types. BBC News

An organization called Japan Toilet Labo unveiled a campaign to hang poetry on public restroom stalls, which it says will save toilet paper, in that research shows people use more TP in public stalls because it's free. (Buried Lede: Japan has a toilet-use support organization.) Reuters via Yahoo
     Posted By: Chuck - Tue Jan 27, 2009
     Category:

Comments
poetry on public restroom stalls
America's been doing this for years and years. It's called graffiti.

Here I sit, brokenhearted...
Posted by Madd Maxx on 01/28/09 at 08:22 AM
mrjazz, when you say that boxers effectively don't have a choice for socio-economic reasons it's a short road to some saying that certain criminals don't have a choice for that reason as well. there is always a choice, maybe not a good one (example: the last presidential election) but we always have a choice. many times we just choose foolishly. (i know i've done my fair share of that)
Posted by Patty in Ohio, USA on 01/28/09 at 01:15 PM
maxx how about-
if you sprinkle when you tinkle
be a sweetie and wipe the seatie! :cheese:
Posted by Patty in Ohio, USA on 01/28/09 at 01:17 PM
but if your choices on that day are fight, sell drugs, head to the welfare agency, or rob an old lady, boxing may not be a good one but it's the best one...
Posted by mrjazz on 01/28/09 at 01:19 PM
how about work at mickey d's or go through welfare for school or job training. i know poor people feel trapped, hell, i barely scrape by myself but in the end we all do what we CAN do. if it's eaisier for someone to rob an old lady than apply at a fast food joint then that's what they'll do. it's a mind set. some children raised in poverty make more of themselves than others with every advantage. if it's easier to beat and be beaten for money than to push a broom then... people are so much more complicated than animals.
Posted by Patty in Ohio, USA on 01/28/09 at 02:12 PM
I know where you're coming from patty, but I am the HR Director for a retail chain that employs nearly 4000 people. I am as traditional, right-leaning conservative as they come, but the jobs (especially these days) aren't always there. I have to send rejection letters everyday to hard-working, law-abiding citizens I would love to hire but just don't have a job for.

And we are one of the fastest growing retailers in the country right now.

In NY state I work with an agency that takes single mothers, finds them jobs, free childcare, and free rides to work and home, and the waiting list is enormous.

America just isn't the land of opportunity it used to be. We are struggling to keep our citizens employed in jobs they can subside on. I certainly don't have the answer to that.
Posted by mrjazz on 01/28/09 at 06:01 PM
i don't have the answer either, i doubt one answer would do. it's scary to contemplate where we might be in 5 or 10 years. but i do have a question for you-you aren't the evil hr director from dilbert are you? i hope not, you seem much too nice for that! 😉
Posted by Patty in Ohio, USA on 01/28/09 at 08:31 PM
I get to focus on recruitment, hiring and training of just the exempt management, corporate staff and execs. luckily I don't have much dealings with the minions (should I be saying that?)

At that level if you're in trouble you've done it to yourself!!!!
Posted by mrjazz on 01/28/09 at 09:33 PM
yeah like the bank execs. and hey, everybody needs minions. 😊
Posted by Patty in Ohio, USA on 01/28/09 at 09:43 PM
Mr Jazz - Could that possibly be because of outsourcing???
😠
I'm not attacking you, just upset by what I see in the IT field in general. I have a lot of friends in that field who get passed over for jobs they are way overqualified for because there are foreign companies who will do it for way cheaper. We have the opportunities, it's just some people would rather give those opportunities away. Or charge you more to speak to tech support that you can understand. Now there's some Western Values we really need.
Posted by DownCrisis on 01/28/09 at 11:38 PM