Laser Pointers

Just to reconfirm how many stupid people there are in the world, laser pointers being directed at planes and helicopters is becoming an increasing problem. The incidence of laser pointers being shone into cockpits is up more than six times since 2005. Darwin by proxy?

picture from Yahoo images
     Posted By: patty - Thu Sep 09, 2010
     Category:

Comments
an age requirement, i fear, would not be sufficient. perhaps a minimum iq requisite for the purchase of a laser pointer?
Posted by Patty in Ohio, USA on 09/09/10 at 12:14 PM
I have a commercial red laser we took out of a copy machine a few years ago. It's 100mW (very strong in todays standards). A ton of fun especially in the fog.

If you want a nice high power green hand-held here ya go:

"But officer I was just trying to see if I could hit the moon .. I wasn't aiming for that aircraft!" 🙄
Posted by ANON in Nowhere on 09/09/10 at 02:15 PM
well of course you have the strongest laser- that doesn't cut through steel- available to man sweetie. i would expect no less. if you didn't have one you'd build one from scratch! 😉
Posted by Patty in Ohio, USA on 09/09/10 at 02:18 PM
"perhaps a minimum iq requisite for the purchase of a laser pointer"

How about you only be allowed to buy one if you can correctly explain the operating principle behind them?
Posted by Dumbfounded on 09/09/10 at 02:18 PM
now there's an excellent idea dumbfounded. that'd keep them out of A LOT of hands. :lol:
Posted by Patty in Ohio, USA on 09/09/10 at 02:20 PM
steve, that just means that a hell of a lot of people are doing it cuz very few would get exactly the right place to blind the pilot. stupid times 100.
Posted by Patty in Ohio, USA on 09/09/10 at 05:28 PM
A far more dangerous combination would be a laser mated to a Browning 1919A .50 Caliber BMG machine gun with tracer and white phosphorus rounds. A 200 dollar tax stamp and a background check from hell can get a class III license and a few more bucks gets you a silencer.

DN
Posted by dorknozzle on 09/09/10 at 10:47 PM
I'll see your BMG1919 and raise you my BFG9000!
Posted by Expat47 in Athens, Greece on 09/10/10 at 12:36 AM
WOW Laser and machine gun poker. Wanna duel with a Suomi KP and PPSH?

DN
Posted by dorknozzle on 09/10/10 at 01:30 AM
Go to the U.S. Naval Academy commencement and "paint" the Blue Angels with a hand held X band radar gun purchased at your local sporting goods store. Very loud audible surface to air missile warnings would fill the cockpit of the F-18 Hornets. Listen on 263.3500 AM to hear live comms and audible warnings.
Posted by dorknozzle on 09/10/10 at 01:50 PM
just be sure you can make bail before you do it.
Posted by Patty in Ohio, USA on 09/10/10 at 04:23 PM
patty,

I once flew a kite covered with aluminum foil from the Severn River Bridge to test their radar defenses. I got the kite to 500 feet altitude, before DHS and the Coast Guard made me reel it in. The RF traffic on my scanner was interesting to say the least.
Turns out there is no law against flying kites on the bridge, but to avoid a confrontation I obeyed the agent's direct order.
Living in a Federal FCI with Bubba is not on my list of favorite things to do at present.

DN