maimed beggars

It's worse than Slumdog Millionaire suggests: Hundreds of kids a year are forcibly maimed in India
Gangs in big cities find runaways and either use acid or sedation/amputation (legs, arms) to enhance poor kids' status as beggars. A Daily Mail reporter in Mumbai figures child-beggar earnings (equivalent of about $1.50 a day) shoot up over six times that (drained by their pimps, of course) if they're deformed. Daily Mail (London)
     Posted By: Chuck - Tue Jan 27, 2009
     Category:

Comments
Is that what that movie's about? I had never heard of it and suddenly its winning all these awards...
Posted by Jules in Connecticut on 01/27/09 at 09:53 AM
I don't think this practice is new. Been around for a few eons or so. Just more Westerners waking up to life around the world.
Posted by Expat47 in Athens, Greece on 01/27/09 at 10:32 AM
Jules - If it is, I don't think I will rush out to see it.
Posted by Madd Maxx on 01/27/09 at 11:13 AM
I think I might try this just to get a few days off of work.
Posted by Madd Maxx on 01/27/09 at 12:38 PM
Maxx, I think if you forcibly maim some Indian kids you'll get more than just a few days off work.
Posted by kingmonkey in Athens, Ontario on 01/27/09 at 05:01 PM
how horrible. you'll note the 'will work for food' guy's aren't jumping on the bandwagon for this one over here. but of course the person finacially benefiting from this crap is never the one to be injured. now i could agree with stoning these evil doers.
Posted by Patty in Ohio, USA on 01/27/09 at 05:38 PM
patty, that reminds me. There's a certain busy corner where I work. This corner is usually manned by one of 3 different 'will work for food' vet guys. The funny thing is they all use the same sign.
Posted by Madd Maxx on 01/28/09 at 07:47 AM
business must be good, they put on 3 shifts!
Posted by Patty in Ohio, USA on 01/28/09 at 01:19 PM
some of the most horrible things we do to ourselves and eachother have been around longer than written history. i wonder how long it was after man figured out how to make fire till someone was deliberately set aflame.
Posted by Patty in Ohio, USA on 01/31/09 at 10:50 PM