paralyzed diver

They dared him, he dove, he's paralyzed, he wins $76m lawsuit
It's a little more subtle than it looks, actually. The defendant dock company that employed the 20-yr-old might have instigated the dare, but maybe not. (The "facts" are unreliable because the dock company filed for liquidation bankruptcy and did not show up in court to challenge the plaintiff's version of facts. However, it could be that the plaintiff initiated the dare, himself, diving off a 10-ft platform into what he didn't realize was 1-ft of water.) Plus, the guy's really messed up. Orlando Sentinel [link from ObscureStore.com]
     Posted By: Chuck - Tue Jan 27, 2009
     Category:

Comments
Either way a "dare" comes down to the individuals choice to go through with it or not - bottom line this guy chose to do something retarded and it's his own fault.
Posted by Jules in Connecticut on 01/27/09 at 09:52 AM
I'm not sure, gettin' a bit long in the tooth but I can almost hear my old grandmother saying something like, "Look before you leap.".

Please tell me the guy is sterile and has no kids.
Posted by Expat47 in Athens, Greece on 01/27/09 at 10:29 AM
I agree Expat74. This guy is a Darwin Award Honorable Mention for sure.
Posted by Daryl on 01/27/09 at 10:33 AM
Nooooooooo! You can't reward Darwin Award HMs!! This is wrong! Winning the award should be enough for him! And from the pic, it seems he has kids. They look very happy.
Posted by BikerPuppy on 01/27/09 at 11:03 AM
How murky was the water that made this waste of sperm think it was deep?
Posted by Madd Maxx on 01/27/09 at 11:07 AM
Wenthral - Sorry, I don't remember reading that in the story. That's what I get for doing this while I am supposed to be working.
Posted by Madd Maxx on 01/27/09 at 01:10 PM
There's an African proverb that says, "Only a fool tests the depth of water with two feet."

Or with one's face, I guess.
Posted by Kenneth on 01/27/09 at 01:29 PM
So a dare is legally admissable as a defense for idiocy now? I've got some lawsuits to file.
Posted by kingmonkey in Athens, Ontario on 01/27/09 at 02:22 PM
Wenthral - Then I take it back! 😏
Posted by Madd Maxx on 01/27/09 at 02:43 PM
Why, I'm pretty sure he'd be entitled to triple the damages, martel! Triple-dog-damages, actually.
Posted by kingmonkey in Athens, Ontario on 01/27/09 at 05:00 PM
3x0=0 he isn't getting anything the company went bankrupt and didn't carry worker's comp. it's a hell of a price to pay for one stupid decision. i kind of feel bad for him because he hadn't worked the site before and noone who had told him it was shallow. the other workers should feel this on their conciences for a long time. i'm sure the guy will regret his stupidity every single day for the rest of his life.
Posted by Patty in Ohio, USA on 01/27/09 at 05:25 PM
bill- or he might have ended up dead with a manta ray stinger in the chest.
Posted by Patty in Ohio, USA on 01/28/09 at 01:26 PM
Crimey, patty!
Posted by Madd Maxx on 01/28/09 at 01:28 PM
joe i understand where you are coming from but here are a couple of thoughts. he can't take his life he doesn't have the physical ability to do so. if anyone helps him to do it they will be tryed for murder. it is actually more expensive to keep someone at home than to put them in a nursing home and medicare, medicaid, and insurance cover institutional care more fully than at home care. so if he is at his parents' home it is most likely because they want him there and mom wants to care for him. it's hard to giv ethat kind of care, believe me i know, but with help it can be done. also loosing a child is something i couldn't even imagine going through i don't know any mom who would be less than greatful to still have their child alive to love. just some thoughts, i'm not judging your reaction.
Posted by Patty in Ohio, USA on 01/28/09 at 01:59 PM
Perhaps the difference in our thoughts is the male mind and the female mind.
i think that has something to do with it joe. screwing up a kid's psyche is probably not such s good idea. it's a hard life for all of them that's for sure. my heart goes out to them. if you were truely a shallow, thoughtless person then you wouldn't spend 2 seconds contemplating someone else's pain. you're an ok guy by me anyway. 😊
Posted by Patty in Ohio, USA on 01/29/09 at 06:25 AM
i guess that's true sidhegyrl. i took care of a couple of noncompliant patients in my time, not fun. smelly just doesn't describe it. bedsores that go septic are horrible. i can't imagine this didn't end in a court fight to appoint a guardian for medical decisions. i'm sorry about your friends. i hope we haven't offended you. thanks for sharing thoughts here. 😊
Posted by Patty in Ohio, USA on 01/29/09 at 03:05 PM