People Different From Us, Midwest Division, May 22nd

Marion County Coroner Frank Lloyd Jr. admits using a flatbed wrecker to remove the 750 pound Teresa Smith after her death from her apartment was a bad idea. Her boyfriend goes on to compare the removal to the hoisting of a car with a chain. I can understand that firefighters may not have been available. I can understand not having a cart on hand to handle the exceptionally obese. But I can't understand how a carpet from the deceased's apartment was the only covering that could be rounded up to bestow some privacy and dignity on the corpse. Further, I don't understand how Frank Lloyd Jr. is only "considering" the purchase of a special cart to handle future cases. How much more convincing does he need? The Indy Star
     Posted By: qualityleashdog - Fri May 22, 2009
     Category:

Comments
Yeah, but he does handle the City of Indianapolis, so it's a pretty large population. I think people in such a shape, and they are becoming more and more common, realize they will likely die soon and should recognize the challenge their corpse will present to the authorities. Such morbidly obese people, especially those that have already required a team of firefighters to help move them in the past should be required to have a plan and make arrangements rather than leaving it up to the authorities to do the best that they can in a pinch and then face the scrutiny for their decisions.
Posted by qualityleashdog on 05/22/09 at 03:53 PM
fat people are the last group that it is pc to make fun of. she's dead, leave her alone. i agree with using what is available for a rare situation, but bringing a king size flat sheet to cover her with shouldn't have been too difficult to do. at least her 'problem' didn't take anybody else out like those poor sick acoholic drunk drivers do.(or drugged drivers for that matter) i know we make fun of people all the time here, but they are usually dumb criminals. this person didn't hurt anybody, she just died- she just died.
Posted by Patty in Ohio, USA on 05/22/09 at 09:20 PM
Patty, I fully understand your feelings regarding Ms. Smith. Please note that my entry did not center on Ms. Smith, her condition, or her death, but rather the decisions the County Coroner made in the aftermath. In the category of "People Different From Us," it is the coroner, not the deceased that I am referring to.
And it is nothing new to report on the morbidly obese here. I cannot recall a death being reported, but I do recall the obese Mexican Man who collided with a highway overpass as he was being hauled to his wedding as an entry here at WU. He died shortly afterwards, and I don't believe it was the consequence of the collision. Don't really feel like doing the research, but I think he's the same one you see on various cable networks billed as "The World's Fattest Man."

And for Mark in Cincy, I think you are right on the money about feeders and the bedridden. I watched a show about such people on TLC or Discovery and there was a bedridden man in Harlem. Of course we wondered why the family would cook what they did for him, but it was all answered when he produced the bucket, rope and pulley he used to order delivery with. If the family wouldn't give him what he wanted, he would just order takeout, send the money down in the bucket, and haul the takeout up. Which was a lot worse than most anything they would cook at home for him. But then again, you have the question of why don't they shut off the phone access? The cash access? It never really stops, in the end they are enablers.
Posted by qualityleashdog on 05/22/09 at 11:55 PM
i did not mean to come off harshly to anyone. it just made me sad. your post was fine qld i'm not critisizing you for it. some of the comments bothered me a bit but there was only one truely mean one.(i think it's obvious)
yes we have spoken about obese people here before but as i say this particular story just made me sad. sorry if i offended anyone. (such as expat appeantly) i'll keep it to myself next time.
Posted by Patty in Ohio, USA on 05/23/09 at 12:55 AM
Yes, one very obvious post from someone I do not recognize, and they are not someone I can respect, and I expect no other regular WU'er could muster respect for them either. And I don't believe in the need to keep anything to yourself, go right ahead. Why not? I believe in standards for the entries, but for comments, anything goes, as long as it is tasteful and constructive.
Posted by qualityleashdog on 05/23/09 at 01:05 AM
thanks qld.
Posted by Patty in Ohio, USA on 05/23/09 at 01:12 AM
sorry expat my bad i totally mistook the comment. perhaps because she died at home without medical personel present the coroner has to examine the body. or maybe the county has to remove the body because everyone else said they couldn't do it or due to indigence. it sounds like the boyfriend is looking for a way to pay for a proper burial. wrong way to do it, but i guess he can't think of anything else. hind sight is 20/20 so ideas for a better way to have moved her will be coming out of the woodwork now i suppose.
Posted by Patty in Ohio, USA on 05/23/09 at 08:13 AM
Ms Anon, I see from the article that she was a mother, and of course a daughter. But not necessarily a wife or sister to anyone. If you saw facts reported that would establish her as a wife or sister, pardon me, but I have yet to see those mentions.
And Caio, the title refers to the Coroner and his decisions, not the deceased.
Posted by qualityleashdog on 05/25/09 at 12:54 AM
What's with the really weird spam comments?
Posted by mdb777 on 06/17/09 at 01:43 PM
What's Eating Gilbert Grape was a good movie.
Posted by Pablo on 06/17/09 at 01:49 PM