worry 090127

More Things to Worry About

Can't Possibly Be True: A quick-draw game between two yee-ha's in that fabulous border area of Va.-West Va.-Tenn ends badly, but alcohol was not involved (nor drugs). Bristol (Tenn.) Herald Courier

Bernard Madoff's Palm Beach mansion was toilet-papered Sunday night, and the reporter said it was by neighbor kids whose trust funds Madoff had looted. Palm Beach Post

Univ. of Alabama at Birmingham researchers pointed out that it's 43 percent easier for us drivers to wipe out kids crossing the street if we only aim at kids who talk on the phone while crossing [Ed.: OK, the researchers didn't express it quite that way . . .] Reuters via Yahoo

An 11-yr-old bullfighter in Mexico gets 6 kills in one day, thus simultaneously enraging both child-welfare groups and PETA types. BBC News

An organization called Japan Toilet Labo unveiled a campaign to hang poetry on public restroom stalls, which it says will save toilet paper, in that research shows people use more TP in public stalls because it's free. (Buried Lede: Japan has a toilet-use support organization.) Reuters via Yahoo
     Posted By: Chuck - Tue Jan 27, 2009
     Category:

Comments
Birmingham researchers - But they're worth less points because they're distracted. Its the alert ones that tend to jump out of the way that are worth more.
Posted by Jules in Connecticut on 01/27/09 at 09:58 AM
toilet-papered: First of all, boo hoo your trust fund is gone, get a job like the rest of us. Second, this guy should be happy they didn't burn the place down.

poetry: I don't get it - people use more TP in public because its free so hanging hiku's is going to help? Are they going to charge to use these stalls? I'm confused...

bullfighter: I'm not even going to read the story, its just going to piss me off.
Posted by Jules in Connecticut on 01/27/09 at 10:08 AM
Bullfighter Saw the kid on TV the other day. Seemed happy. Bullock was a bit pissed off however. Western values again, folks.

TP'd house Whoa! Bet that made up for a lot of lost millions!

Fast Draw No alcohol? Y'all know shine's clear and don't show too well through the jar.

Kids on Phones I'm with Jules on this one. Go for the big points!

Japan Whole nation seems to be hung-up on toilets in general. See story about 8Gazillion dollar, solid gold, diamond encrusted, heated, automatic pooper palace.
Posted by Expat47 in Athens, Greece on 01/27/09 at 10:41 AM
Don't knock heated toilet seats, Expat! That was the only heat source I had in my apartment in Japan! BTW, Jules, I don't get it either. Maybe you're supposed to wipe with the poem? Besides, I don't remember more than a handful of public toilets in Japan with paper -- you usually had to bring your own (which was in plentiful supply, because companies print ads on little tissue packets and hand them out free anywhere!).
Posted by BikerPuppy on 01/27/09 at 11:08 AM
BP coming from cold country I'll never knock heated toilet seats! Nothing quite says, "Good Morning" like an ice-cold jolt to the butt.

Then there's the waiting for body heat to melt the ice that has formed gluing you to the outhouse rest area.
Posted by Expat47 in Athens, Greece on 01/27/09 at 11:46 AM
quick-draw game
This town ain't big 'nuff fer the two of us.
Posted by Madd Maxx on 01/27/09 at 12:16 PM
mansion was toilet-papered
They should have burned the house down.
Posted by Madd Maxx on 01/27/09 at 12:19 PM
6 kills in one day
The only thing I have ever killed 6 of in one day...24 oz beer (tallboys).

Unless you want to count all the crabs and crawfish I have boiled over the years. Usually it's alot more than just 6 in a boil.
Posted by Madd Maxx on 01/27/09 at 01:03 PM
Big Gary - I always understood "western _____" to mean "American ____". Of course, maybe that is just my western way of thinking.
Posted by Madd Maxx on 01/27/09 at 01:07 PM
Not quite, Maxx. Westerners includes Europeans, Brits, etc.
Posted by Expat47 in Athens, Greece on 01/27/09 at 01:28 PM
Gotcha Expat! But in either case, would Mexico be included in that? I wouldn't think so.
Posted by Madd Maxx on 01/27/09 at 01:31 PM
Big Gary - I've always taken that phrase to not mean location but a way of life or culture. That's why I've just assumed that it meant the American culture. I could be wrong.
Posted by Madd Maxx on 01/27/09 at 02:28 PM
OLE! OLE! OLE! OLE! OLE! OLE!

can't wait to get to Mexico and see the kid in action!
Posted by mrjazz on 01/27/09 at 02:31 PM
I love the Japanese. They make Floridians look normal.
Posted by kingmonkey in Athens, Ontario on 01/27/09 at 05:02 PM
quick draw game- i don't care how hot she is, this is what happens when you f*ck your sister!

tp- good for them he's lucky it wasn't the parents with a rope instead.

phones- that was my first thought jules, how many points?

bulls- every kid should have a hobby.

japanese tp- maybe they figure if people are distracted reading poetry they'll take less paper.
Posted by Patty in Ohio, USA on 01/27/09 at 05:51 PM
sorry i didn't read it because i didn't want to see any pictures or get pissed so i made light of it. calves? that not cool.
Posted by Patty in Ohio, USA on 01/27/09 at 06:32 PM
does anyone here eat beef or veal?
Posted by mrjazz on 01/27/09 at 07:28 PM
Western pretty much is the derogatory equivalent of 1st world. It was my assumption that it means a culture was heavily influenced by western philosophy. e.g. Even the conservatives are pretty fricken liberal. Mexico was a second world country (we dont use those terms anymore) and is less influenced by "the west".
Per modern usage, "the west" also refers to japan. When you guys assumed "the west" meant american, it really meant capitalist/imperialist...
Bunch of haters, says I
Posted by One of them guys on 01/27/09 at 08:55 PM
i do mrjazz, but i'd like to think they are killed humanely. bull fights are cruel to the animals, that bothers me. i am really bothered by calves being tortured like this too. but we have little to say about what goes on in other sovereign nations. after all it appears we can't do anything about female castration of little girls in africa or maiming of children to make them better beggars in india. so if we can't help human children i doubt animal young are going to get any help either.
Posted by Patty in Ohio, USA on 01/27/09 at 09:49 PM
i completely understand patty. you are correct on all points, and I just feel in the grand scheme of things, bullfighting is an ancient ritual that is 'relatively' harmless. something that gives so much joy to so many millions of people at the expense of a few animals that would have become food anyway is (hate to use the word) 'morally' acceptable.

there are many individuals who feel the same way you do about boxing, making the point that many fighters have no other choices due to socio-economic reasons.
Posted by mrjazz on 01/28/09 at 06:32 AM