HOME   |   CONTACT   |   FACEBOOK   |   PINTEREST   |   TWITTER   |   RSS

Brand New Urban Legend

There is a really great new urban legend circulating out there folks. Fake calamari is made from pig rectums! At least everyone is saying it is just an urban legend.
Posted By: patty | Date: Tue Jan 22, 2013 | Number of Comments: 15
Category: Nausea, Revulsion and Disgust
More weirdness from the WU archive:
Comments
Listed in chronological order. Newest comments at the end.
And I've always thought real calamari was gross!
Posted by patty in Ohio, USA on 01/22/13 at 01:10 AM
I know, for a fact, that the calamari are extent in the wild and the only ones left are grown in tanks. Accounting for all the calamari that is eaten annually, here in Greece and Italy, there is no way these cultured calamari could possibly fulfill even these two country's needs.

So.... I'm going to have to remove this one from the urban legend side of the ledger and brand it as [PLAUSABLE]!

Just think of your calamari as bacon that has moved south and you should be OK.
Posted by Expat47 in Athens, Greece on 01/22/13 at 05:34 AM
Pig rectum sounds more appealing than tentacle.
Posted by dumbledoor in Hell on 01/22/13 at 05:41 AM
Why would you want to eat FAKE anything? Just pay up and buy the real item.

I am a bit neurotic about what goes into my meal. I've had squid but I purchased them whole, then prepared and cooked them myself. Not inexpensive, but certainly not restaurant prices paid for product of unknown origin.
Posted by KDP in Madill, OK on 01/22/13 at 10:20 AM
Ira Glass is a little skeptical
Posted by kelly on 01/22/13 at 11:23 AM
Wow, Just Wow! Just listened to the link. Ben Calhoun described this perfectly, Like sausage?, Eat hot dogs with natural casings? Well then you're already eating just up the road (Yes Expat it is North) from Bung! LOL
For My money chitterlings/Chitlins would make a much more convincing calamari substitute! cool smile
Great Post Patty! cool smile
Posted by Tyrusguy on 01/22/13 at 12:48 PM
I've entered my "golden years", worked on a farm, and helped butcher critters so, yea, I've eaten my share of "natural casing" which is saying a lot when you're the one that helped clean them out before the ladies stuffed them.

Posted by Expat47 in Athens, Greece on 01/22/13 at 01:20 PM
Expat, Me too! I LOVE the snap of a proper hot dog or brat/knockwurst.
I would take issue with fraudulent sales is all.
That said, If there is money to be made making the switch then someone is probably doing it.
BTW Were are the cool Gifs/smileys coming from! LOL
Posted by Tyrusguy on 01/22/13 at 01:50 PM
Thanks Ty!!! kiss
Posted by patty in Ohio, USA on 01/22/13 at 02:31 PM
The more eaten as calimari the fewer that are in my hot dogs! YEA!
Posted by Snarky on 01/22/13 at 05:55 PM
The FDA gurus could end the disputes
By simply approving deep-fried pork poop chutes
Posted by mike in Ocean Isle Beach, NC on 01/23/13 at 10:32 AM
Expat:
"I know, for a fact, that the calamari are extent in the wild and the only ones left are grown in tanks. "

Well, they are indeed extant in the wild. Maybe you meant extirpated, but squid are not only abundant in the wild but they are also widely fished. Wikipedia says that in 2002, 2,189,206 tonnes of squid were caught. And apparently the Japanese eat the most, which maybe isn't surprising.

Or are you being sarcastic? wink
Posted by Calli Arcale on 01/23/13 at 03:51 PM
The This American Life radio show did a story about "bung" being substituted for calamari.

Posted by Bruce Townley on 01/23/13 at 06:44 PM
@Calli: Whatever you read on Wikipedia is probably right but that was over 10 years ago and just look at those numbers! You KNOW that every year the numbers must have gone up so, at some point the last squid was hauled out of the briny.

Personally, I don't care. Never liked the stuff myself it reminded me of pig butt.
Posted by Expat47 in Athens, Greece on 01/23/13 at 11:59 PM
Just saying: "Prairie Oysters" fried in bacon fat with eggs.
Posted by BMN on 01/24/13 at 02:08 AM
Page 1 of 1 pages
Commenting is not available in this weblog entry.
Custom Search