Breaks Will

A great moment in the history of 'oops': Back in 1911, a lawyer accidentally tripped and smashed the phonograph record on which Hodson Burton had recorded his final will, revealing where he had hidden his fortune. (If this lawyer was true to form, I'd guess he still made sure to submit a bill for his services.)

I wonder if Hodson Burton's fortune has ever been found.

Posted By: Alex - Sun Feb 01, 2015
Category: Law, 1910s

Comments
10/1 the lawyer had already listened to the record and smashed it so he could keep the goods for himself.
Posted by Expat47 in Athens, Greece on 02/01/15 at 10:23 AM
I agree with Expat! LOL cool smile
Posted by Tyrusguy on 02/01/15 at 11:50 AM
10 to 1?! You must have a lot more faith in lawyers than I do!
Posted by Miles in Eugene, OR on 02/01/15 at 01:53 PM
I wonder if they could have sued the lawyer for the supposed value of the estate because he had accepted in trust the sole means of transfer and did not take proper precautions to ensure its safety. Take into account that there is never only one copy of a will, I think they would have had a fair case. (I know of three states with laws that both the person and the attorney have copies of the will to protect against false wills.)

And, really, does anyone actually believe the lawyer didn't loot the site hours after the old boy kicked off?
Posted by Phideaux in in his own little world on 02/01/15 at 02:57 PM
Yep, bet he listened to it and got the loot and oops broke the record.
Posted by Patty in Ohio, USA on 02/01/15 at 09:06 PM
I call shenanigans. Sounds like an early urban myth to me. No location. Neither lawyer nor heirs named. No explanation for the five year delay. Absolutely nothing in Google about the incident or "Hodson Burton" except for this one article. Rich guy with a an unusual name -- but I could find nothing about him. Yep -- shenanigans.
Posted by Frank H in United States on 02/02/15 at 10:43 AM