Peas mean something

In 1904, this young lady was dismissed as "demented." Today she might be recognized as a great performance artist.

Quietly entering the offices of various city officials this morning, a young lady about twenty-five years of age, neatly and attractively gowned in green, opened a paper bag of dried peas, threw a handful on the floor and left after making the statement, "Peas mean something." Later she went to the court house and repeated the act in the offices of Clerk of Courts Fred Badger and Sheriff M.J. Rounds.

Oshkosh Daily Northwestern - Apr 12, 1904
Posted By: Alex - Sun Jan 25, 2015
Category: Food, Vegetables, 1900s

Comments
[Sings] All we are saying, is give peas a chance.
Posted by ges on 01/25/15 at 09:53 AM
I get it. She pea-ed on their floor.
Posted by BHicks on 01/25/15 at 11:14 AM
Wait a minute... Was her name L. Emmenoh by any chance?
Posted by Expat47 in Athens, Greece on 01/25/15 at 11:19 AM
Green dress, at least she dressed to match.
Posted by Patty in Ohio, USA on 01/25/15 at 01:44 PM
Expat, your remark reminds me of the very clever novel Ella Minnow Pea. You can look it up in Wikipedia or Amazon.
Posted by ges on 01/25/15 at 07:10 PM
reminds me of this 'dirty' joke my dad told us. A woman LOVED peas so much that she took to stealing them. She was arrested and sent to jail for 5 years. When she was released, she ran to the nearest grocery store and yelled "Peas! I haven't had a pea in 5 years!" The grocer yelled "Run for your lives -- there's gonna be a flood"
Posted by QatzMom in United States on 01/26/15 at 09:38 PM
I prefer GOOBER PEAS! with honey on toast! LOL cool smile
Posted by Tyrusguy on 01/26/15 at 11:25 PM
There's two we'll, sadly, never see the likes of again. hmmm
Posted by Expat47 in Athens, Greece on 01/27/15 at 12:11 AM
I thought of goobers peas too Ty.
Posted by Patty in Ohio, USA on 01/27/15 at 07:48 AM
My take away? It's just nice to see the word "demented" in print again. Sigh. The good old days.
Posted by Jeremy M Brown in Anaheim, CA on 02/04/15 at 03:52 PM