Welcome to the Official Second WEIRD UNIVERSE Contest. Those of you who recall the first one might remember that it was too short and mired in controversy. We aim to remedy that this time around.
First, though, to get you all excited, let's discuss the prize.
We've debated before on WU whether Germans possess a sense of humor. Now I can prove they do! There's a book about it! You'll see its title page immediately below. (What does not show is the copyright, which is 1903. So perhaps the question of whether the Germans have any sense of humor after starting two World Wars remains open.)
Want a sample of the contents? Here it is! (Please pardon the blurring on the RH page. I think it's still readable enough for our purposes.)
Weren't those hilarious kneeslappers? The winner of the contest will get 300 pages of similar material, delivered to him or her in a genuine DiFi Mailart Envelope!
Now, onto the contest itself.
We're stealing a trick from THE NEW YORKER. Below is an old cartoon from PUNCH. I've removed the caption. Your job is to provide a new one.
Here are the technical details.
1) Offer your new caption in the Comments section of this thread.
2) You have approximately 24 hours in which to play, from the time this post goes up.
3) When all the entries are submitted, I will declare a halt to submissions and compose a new post, repeating the entries in the main body of the post.
4) The readers of WU will vote for a winner! I will attempt to embed one of those online poll widgets via Polldaddy. But if I can't, you'll vote in the Comments section of the new post, and I'll tabulate manually.
5) Voting itself will last 24 hours from the arrival of the second post with the choices.
Got all that? Okay, start composing!