Bad Luck Blackie

We all know that cartoon genius Tex Avery was an utter madman in his animation. But BAD LUCK BLACKIE strikes me as the most bizzare and surreal example of his art that I've ever seen.

Posted By: Paul - Fri Feb 20, 2009
     Category: Pop Art | Surrealism | Cartoons | Cats | Dogs | 1940s

Comments
That dog is diabolical! As the carton progressed, I felt myself slipping further into some kind of acid trip.
Posted by kingmonkey in Athens, Ontario on 02/20/09 at 11:32 AM
Thanks, Paul, I missed that one somehow! I'd never seen it before.
Posted by Expat47 in Athens, Greece on 02/20/09 at 11:47 AM
I remember this being played on the Tom and Jerry show. Classic cartoons....gotta love 'em. Tex Avery was a genius. It is strange though how the bad luck trigger goes from being a black cat to just blowing a whistle but hey, good cartoons require no explanation.

Have the roadrunner cartoons been edited? Sure they have violence but it's ridiculus, over the top cartoon violence.
Posted by Madd Maxx on 02/20/09 at 12:15 PM
It's really sad how they rewrite history by deleting/changing old films and cartoons. I get it, it's for the children. Just hope they don't destroy the originals.
Posted by Viceman48 on 02/20/09 at 01:05 PM
My kids are 8 and 9. I watch cartoons with them and I can say that today's cartoons are just as violent. They do tend to have more stupid humor than the Looney Tunes had. IMHO
Posted by Madd Maxx on 02/20/09 at 01:18 PM
Viceman, it's not just for the kids. Remember that the twin towers were edited out of Spider-Man.
Posted by kingmonkey in Athens, Ontario on 02/20/09 at 01:35 PM
i had never seen that one before, but those are the kind of cartoons i grew up watching. bugs bunny is my favorite. what's up doc?
Posted by Patty in Ohio, USA on 02/20/09 at 05:52 PM
the pc nazis are everywhere dude!
Posted by Patty in Ohio, USA on 02/21/09 at 04:09 AM
with rr i think they just cut away when stuff is falling, before it lands on the coyote. that kind of thing, because he always gets it at the end of his schemes so they just cut away. but yet the video games just keep getting bloodier and bloodier. that's pc to now depict all the violence you want on humans,just don't insult their heritage or sexual orientation. and never depict the harming of innocent animals. i don't believe in harming living things indescriminently. i do eat meat so i guess i do believe in killing animals for food.(quick and painless) but look at the old cartoons and the current video games and tell me which is more damaging to young minds.
Posted by Patty in Ohio, USA on 02/21/09 at 09:46 AM
thank you spyone. i remember that cartoon from childhood and it still makes me laugh out loud. i love bugs! :lol:
Posted by Patty in Ohio, USA on 02/21/09 at 09:56 AM
Your right spyman, that was the best gag. The look on the bulls face was priceless.

Two lines I still use to this day come from this cartoon (or maybe they were used in several).

"Should have taken that left turn in Albuquerque." (I listed this as a What would you do differently?" during a Post-Mortem at work. For some reason it didn't make it into the minutes.)

And, "Of cousre this means war."
Posted by Madd Maxx on 02/21/09 at 10:08 AM
patty - on a separate note it's not always quick and painless. I been through a meat plant (cows in one side and steaks out the other) and it can be pretty rough. The cows got hit in the head with a hammer (a guy actually stood their with a framing hammer and hit the cows) to stun them before slitting their throats. That way the heart still pumps helping to get the blood out faster.
Posted by Madd Maxx on 02/21/09 at 10:12 AM
when was this maxx? i haven't been through a meat packing plant, but was told they use some sort of gun (no bulletts a retractable projectile) at the temple that has the force to kill on impact. not sure that is correct though and it is probably different from one place to another. ideally it would be painless, but ideals are hard to come by in this world. i'd like to stop human suffering as well but that ain't gonna happen either. it's an unbearably sad life if you think too much about things you can't change. best to concentrate on the ones you can change. and it's helpful to know the difference between the two. 😊
Posted by Patty in Ohio, USA on 02/21/09 at 10:47 AM
what? who? educate me big gary. sorry but those names are unfamiliar.
Posted by Patty in Ohio, USA on 02/21/09 at 10:21 PM
I'm pretty sure the indians smoking the peace pipe in <u>Peter Pan</u> is still in the movie. Along with the song What Makes The Red Man Red?. Having kids who are under 9 means we have purchased <u>Peter Pan</u> at some point in the past 9 years and the scene was still in there.
Posted by Madd Maxx on 02/26/09 at 10:21 AM
@ dumbfounded,
I don't think Disney is worried about Cruella's smoking. She is villain, not a character kids want to emulate.
On a separate note, I have some dvd's of WWII era looney toons that are unedited(blackface, bad Japanese stereotypes, etc.). They are hilarious. I think that censorship is very stupid. After all, those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. And I heard that none of the basic cable channels will show Speedy Gonzalez, their reasoning being that he is "offensive" to Mexicans. I thought Mexicans liked that he always outsmarted the gringo cat.
Posted by Matt in Florida on 02/26/09 at 10:43 AM
political correctness is a creeping fungus slowly homogonising our culture to death.
Posted by Patty in Ohio, USA on 02/26/09 at 08:28 PM