Miss Sewer Cleaner

October 1951: Gaylia Davis, 17, was awarded the title "Miss Sewer Cleaner of 1952." She reflected philosophically that, "It may be a soggy title but if it helps my career I don't care."

I can't figure out what became of her after 1951. So it's hard to know if it helped her career or not.

Southern Illinoisan - Oct 15, 1951

Detroit Free Press - Oct 11, 1951

Detroit Free Press - Dec 23, 1951

Detroit Free Press - Dec 23, 1951

Posted By: Alex - Sun Feb 21, 2016
Category: Awards, Prizes, Competitions and Contests, 1950s

Comments
Way too skinny for the 50s. She, obviously, got flushed down the drain of Hollywood.
Posted by Expat47 in Athens, Greece on 02/21/16 at 10:35 AM
Guessin' she went underground
Posted by crc in idaho on 02/21/16 at 12:27 PM
She coulda made alot more money emptying mens pipes.
Posted by BrokeDad in Midwest US on 02/21/16 at 06:25 PM
An old Detroit news story listed her at 34-23-35, which was skinny enough for the 50s. But I was able to find a link to a Gaylia Davis who died in 2009 at the age of 72. Born in '35-36? Would've been the right age for Miss Sewer Cleaner.

Posted by Greg in Baltimore on 02/21/16 at 08:05 PM
I can't shake the impression that the photo of her with the sewer pipes (second from the bottom) shows a giant sitting next to a skyscraper.

Unfortunately, no matter how much I squint, I can't see her as a snake (the tool most commonly used to clean sewers).
Posted by Phideaux in his own little world on 02/21/16 at 11:49 PM
Greg, the woman in the obituary married her husband whose name was Davis right after she finished high school in Texas in 1955. The sewer girl was 17 in 1951 in Detroit. It's highly unlikely that they're the same person.
Posted by ges on 02/22/16 at 12:43 AM
You're right, Phideaux. Also, the folded boot tops make it look as though she's adding to the sewerage.
Posted by TheCannyScot in Atlanta, GA on 02/22/16 at 08:36 AM
Oh well, ges, I guess the interweb isn't fully functional yet.
Posted by Greg in Baltimore on 02/23/16 at 05:35 AM