Mystery Gadget 101

What's it for?

The answer is here.

or after the jump.
     Posted By: Paul - Thu Apr 14, 2022
     Category: Technology | Eighteenth Century

Well, I've read the description of it, but I still can't say I really know what it does. I do doubt that it has three "frictionless" wheels, as stated.
Posted by Virtual in Carnate on 04/14/22 at 12:17 PM
"A dividing engine is a device employed to mark graduations on measuring instruments to allow for reading smaller measurements than can be allowed by directly engraving them. The well-known Vernier scale and Micrometer screw-gauge are classic examples that make use of such graduations." - Wiki
Posted by eddi on 04/15/22 at 06:16 AM
So the vertical part in front is a stylus that marks/etches a measuring device. Would be helpful to show it on top of an item being marked.
Posted by Virtual in Carnate on 04/15/22 at 02:47 PM
I thought it might be some sort of 3-D pantograph.

The accuracy of this unit depends on how precise those 2160 gears were cut. Measuring tools of the time simply weren't up to the task of what we now call high precision.

Today, we use rotary tables or dividing heads to do the same job. A table with a 10-second vernier (3600 seconds in a degree) are less than $500.
Posted by Phideaux on 04/15/22 at 04:54 PM
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.